2"x8" ceiling joist spanning 16'. There's a pull down stair to access the attic.

All of that juice came from here.  They didn't pass inspection.

So I wrote a correction.

It is difficult to believe that a licensed contractor did this.
There was a wall. It was a bearing wall supporting ceiling joists from two rooms.

Well then, that fixed that.

The correction said, "Header across access openings."  They got this far with it and stopped.

The beam was exposed during a restaurant TI.  It is 16' long.  It is just sitting on the 2"x4".

It might have been all about keeping busy.

The plans call for ceiling joist. The owner changed his mind and the contractor says that he had to please his customer.  The extra 2"x is to achieve enough depth for R-30 insulation.  There is no ventilation and the radiant barrier is all wrong.

The top flight of stairs land on a pair of 2"Xs

There's only three possible reasons to leave this.  !. They don't know any better.  2. They thought I would not find it.  3.  They thought that if I did find it, I wouldn't't know any better.

  One HD at a corner is sufficient.

If they have the moxie to build such a thing you would expect them to know why they shouldn't.

It's a fire job so a bunch of plaster came off the walls.  There are no anchor bolts....I found four in about 200' of wall.  

The last few inches of the SSTB is visible and that's all that will end up in the concrete.

Measure once cut twice....no, no that's not it....what was it again....oh ya...measure twice cut once....ya that's the ticket.

Shirley there was two blades in the saw.

The other end has a strap and no bearing.

This was at a well known coffeeshop. The inspector was out sick and I was called to do a final inspection.  The bottom chords are severed/knarled.  I wonder what's up with the spacing.  The conduit is held with balling wire.  The conduits are feeders for a pair of distribution panels, one 400 amp and another 200 amp.  It takes a lot of juice to make coffee.

Occasionally you will have to invent a code to fit the situation.

cantilevered girder

TIGERLOOSE

The contractor asked me to come over and see if I had any suggestions.  I did and I did.  As I recall a trip to Oz played a part in my solution.

A foundation is going in under the sill plate with the anchor bolts.  The SSTB anchors are hanging from the HDs.




That's called re-grading lumber

Some of the lumber split. They did this on both sides of the wall.

Here's how it looks on the other side of the wall.  I explained how to install a window three times.  I'm hoping to find a way to install windows in two times.  One time would just be too easy. I used to have a great detail sheet for installing windows.  Julie mentioned it in front of Raj and he said we can't use them.  Jonas Guiding believed that and tossed them out because they were not "official".  I should call the city of Paradise and ask them to fax me one.  As long as I keep it away from Julie it should be ok.  The aggravating part of it is that Jonas was a window salesman before he became an inspector.....last I heard, he was selling doors.

The floor is spongy and their solution is a 4"x6"x17'.  The plan was to make it permanent with a post in the middle of the opening.  My first reaction was you can't do that.  Then I thought it wouldn't have much effect on the TJIs.  Then I wondered if they should block between the TJIs.  Finally I said, "Get it on the plans and go see our engineer."  Honestly, I don't remember the outcome but I do remember that the floor was still spongy.  I mean what the Hell good would a 17' 4"x6" do.

There is a building permit for an addition of 83 sqft to a bedroom, a porch roof and a carport that is yet to be built. That is the only permit. They requested a framing and roughs inspection.

Those 2"Xs are toe nailed to a beam and apparently, I was on fire at the time.

Type your paragraph here.

The plumber and electrician hacked the frame on this job and the framer complained about it as we walked the framing inspection.

They told me that upon commencing the window install they discovered dry rot and termite damage. So they removed darned near everything except the roof and ceiling joists. Much of the plates, both top and bottom were left intact. Logically, they had to save the top plates in order to save the roof and ceiling joists. Understandably this is no small feat.

The carpenter, being smarter than the designer, realized that shooting a short block won't work. So he glued it instead.

Drywall screws will last a long time with the right paint job.

This is when you tell them, "You'll thank me later"

The braces are not nailed.

The odd thing is the holes.....there's lots of holes.

There's about 900 sqft of addition and they called for insulation inspection. That one piece of insulation with the face showing is the only piece of insulation with the face showing. It's near the door and as soon as I saw it I said, "Well the insulation is inside out." He said, "Give me a second and I'll have Martin switch it."  It look to me like Martin got ahead of the electrical inspector.

You forgot something.

This is the second time that I have seen this mistake.  The really large dwarf did it the first time.

More is not always better.  It can reach a point where the stiffness of the wall overwhelms the anchorage.  And then there's splitting the studs to consider.

Same guy as above for the next five pictures and it's a massive two story house.

The old Skillsaws were 8"